Thursday, February 12, 2009

What could you say with 6 words?

"Born in the desert, still thirsty."
- Georgene Nunn

"No future, no past. Not lost."
- Matt Brensilver

"Extremely responsible, secretly longed for spontaneity."
- Sabra Jennings

Yesterday on NPR they had a program on Talk of the Nation about memoirs in 6 words. Smith magazine in The spirit of Hemingway asked readers to submit a memoir of 6 words on their life, or to tell a story. I loved listening to these and Jim and I had fun writing a few of our own. Smith Mag has compiled these memoirs in a book entitled "Not Quite What I Was Planning, Memoirs by Famous and Obscure Writers" I think there is real power and rhythm in 6 words. They are so telling yet open ended and mysterious, allowing the reader to fill in the blanks while still painting a picture. So I was thinking, in honor of Valentines day and the fact that Jimmy and I got engaged 4 years ago today I would like to hear your 6 worded memoirs on Love and heartache in your lives. I'll go ahead and start with mine and the one Jimmy wrote tonight in my comments below. So in honor of love and as an anniversary gift submit yours in my comments as well! I can't wait to see what you come up with!!! Happy writing!

5 comments:

hollyctr said...

Jimmy's: "Because of you, my life's complete."

Holly's: "Dishes, diapers, Daddy-man, my hero."

"House plans, farm land, planning dreams."

"Good pizza and conversation became forever."

sisterofgorvak said...

Gypsy adventurer, searching but not lost.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful eyes, living in Saturday’s jeans.

Duct tape and plywood, Dad’s proud.

hollyctr said...

This is from Amy:

I would probably say: Life on earth sucks, Family rocks or something equally cynical.

hollyctr said...

This is from Ron Jon:

Eventually, tiny frog sees one soul